Friday, September 29, 2023

The Friday Link for 9/29/23

Howdy all!

Minneapolis/St. Paul and Minnesota are AMAZING!  I love living here and I love exploring the city.  Lately, the metro area and the state have been featured repeatedly on many different top ten lists for livability, quality of life, happiness, and other categories. Many times we hit #1.  I think that's great, but this seems to pain some people, and that's sad.

If you really hate this city, why are you here? You have ONE TRIP on this spinning rock and here you are wasting it. Will you say "My job is too good"?  Well, then the city can't be that bad if you are willing to stay for that reason, considering jobs are everywhere.  Will you say "I have a family member I need to stay by"?  That's also a fake crutch.  You could move with them to another state, or at the very least you could move out of the city entirely and commute to them in the metro, yet you don't. 

If you really hate the city, then leave.  Go be happy.  I'm staying.  I love it here. 

For some reason the YouTube page had the CityNerd account pop up in my suggested viewing.  The page looks at cities from a transportation, quality of life, and practicality perspective.  Ray Delahanty is the host and he decided to pay Minneapolis a visit. There are a lot of things about this evaluation I find spot on.  I love how he was told to avoid the Lake Street station, yet he goes the and doesn't find it any worse than most other cities.  He praises us for our bike paths, park system, and lakes.  He is critical of our wide streets and the obstacles we have a tendency to put into crosswalks. Also, he is not a fan of the winters.

Give the video a watch. I agree with him more than I disagree. 

Also this week a fun video for Science Fiction nerds like me.  Have you ever wondered where most of the Science fiction locations from franchises like Star Trek and Dune take place?  Most of them have very specific locations on our neighboring star maps.

The Overview Effect has a breakdown.

Have a great weekend.  

Get your Flu and COVID shots! 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'll review it and as long as it's not dirty, I'll post it (even if you disagree with me).