Friday, November 11, 2022

The Friday Link for 11/11/22

To all those who served, a happy Veteran's Day to you.  

Some military themed videos this week, starting off with a nice one on the USS Yorktown.  I had the privilege of visiting this ship in Charleston Harbor in South Carolina almost a month ago. 


You can tour the entire ship and find out about the heavy battle these sailors and pilots went through.  There are a few of these WWII ships anchored in various harbors across the country.  If you get the chance, visit one.  You'll be amazed at what these people were able to pull off during the Battle of the Pacific.


Next up is a look at the Battle of Nashville in 1864.  What makes me mad about the south is how they have not preserved the battle sites where they lost.  Very little of the Battle of Nashville battle site remains undeveloped.  Most of it is long destroyed to shopping centers, houses, and industrial parks.

What does remain is Shy's Hill, where the Minnesota 5th, 7th, 9th, and 10th fought and died.  Although the Minnesota 1st's sacrifice at Gettysburg is the most remembered Minnesota moment in the Civil War, more Minnesotans died at the Battle of Nashville than at any other battle in the war.  Their sacrifice was not in vain as they contributed mightily to the victory at Nashville.  This battle was the end of the Confederate Army of the West and ended up being the final major battle in the Civil War.

There is a Minnesota memorial on that hill in Nashville. 


Finally tonight, a fun one.  My grandfather was in the Navy during WWII and he loved one specific element of it, chipped beef on toast.

Of course, it has a more colorful name, a name my grandfather had no problem using around me when I was 8.  It did not endear me to the meal.

Chipped beef on toast was a pretty good military meal.  Dried beef in a cream sauce over toast.  Protein, meat, and a heavy meal to hold the troops over.  Tasting History with Max Miller has decided to tackle Chipped Beef on Toast for Veteran's Day, and in honor of my Grandfather, I will make this recipe this upcoming week.


Have a great weekend everyone.  

Stay safe and please remember to get your COVID shots and your flu shots.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'll review it and as long as it's not dirty, I'll post it (even if you disagree with me).