Friday, March 8, 2024

The Friday link for 3/8/24

Hi all! I hope you have a wonderful weekend.  Let's start it off by giving everyone recurring nightmares. 

When I was a kid, there was one character that scared me, and most people, to the core; The Child Catcher from 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.' That move was weirdly unsettling overall, but The Child Catcher had kids screaming themselves awake for years.  The movie was released in the late 1960s, but (like a lot of kids' movies back then) was played consistently in theaters on weekends up through the 1970s.  I must have been 5 or 6 when I saw The Child Catcher for the first time and I remember refusing to look at the screen for the rest of the movie in case he showed up again. 

To tell you how scary The Child Catcher was, I remember seeing 'Chitty Chitty Bang Bang' on a weekend flipping through TV channels in the 80s, and when I saw The Child Catcher again, I froze. Who was the psychopath who decided he needed a hook?!?  Even today the character gives me the freaking creeps!

I had placed him out of my mind until The Cyan Man on YouTube decided that we really needed to talk about how messed up The Child Catcher really was.  Relive the terror for yourself (and laugh a little too) as The Cyan Man has a pretty funny take. 


Also with the Oscars this weekend, let's all enjoy the Screen Junkies guys doing their annual Honest Trailer takedown of the Best Picture Nominees.


And finally this week, The Daily Show sent Michael Kosta to Eagle Pass, Texas to talk with the locals about the real invasion that is breaking them, the invasion of right-wing ideologues that have tormented their community.

Side note:  In this video, the Chair of the local Republican Party repeatedly uses a derogatory slur about immigrants.  This should be VERY newsworthy, but this just seems to be the Republican Party today.  Twenty years ago, this Chair would be run out of the Party.  My guess is she got a commendation for her open racism.


Please make sure to stay up to date on your vaccines and be safe!

Have a great weekend everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'll review it and as long as it's not dirty, I'll post it (even if you disagree with me).