Friday, July 16, 2021

The Friday Link for 7/16/21

This week we head to Antartica! 

I love my wife and kids, and I love living in Minnesota and being a radio host, but I have to be honest.  If I was offered a 3 or 6 month tour to Antartica, I would do it in a heartbeat! 

Antartica is really the last great wilderness on the planet.  Mostly untamed, it would present an opportunity to say you had gone and worked someplace really unique.  I'm also amazed at the trip it takes to get there; as small as our world is, it takes a lot of effort and time to get there. 

And no matter what job a person would have down there, you would be in some way helping one of the greatest scientific communities ever assembled.  I might not be a scientist in any of the major fields of desire for Antartica, but everyone there, from the cooks to the mechanics to the cleaning people, EVERYONE is part of one of the most dedicated scientific communities you'll ever see.  You're doing something important there, and that's wildly appealing.

It also seems to be apparent that most of the people who do go work in a support role in Antartica come from NASA to work on small engine repair, come from a 5 Star restaurant to make pizza, or deliver their Master's Thesis to take a job scrubbing bathrooms.  So far no call back on my application...

PBS' Nova went there and sent back some great videos on life in Antartica.  My bags are packed and ready to go when needed!  



I really did enjoy the "how do you feed all these people" video.



Have a healthy and safe weekend everyone.

Please get vaccinated and stay safe.

Please.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'll review it and as long as it's not dirty, I'll post it (even if you disagree with me).