Friday, November 21, 2014

The Friday Link for 11/21/14

Was there any doubt I would be going with the WKRP in Cincinnati's Turkeys Away episode for the Friday before Thanksgiving?

I've said for years, whomever wrote WKRP worked in radio for many years.  Every character in that show is an amazing representation of the true corresponding real life employee.  Andy, the exceptional program director everyone likes, Les, the nebbish newsman, Herb, the smarmy sales guy, Venus, every night radio host I ever worked with, Bailey, the plucky, ever competent assistant.  The only one who was off is Gordon Jump's Mr. Carlson.  Not saying I didn't work with my share of owner's relatives who were complete boobs, but the GM was never as incompetent as Carlson.  Watching that show might not give you the complete picture, but it'll give you an pretty good idea what working in radio is like.

I'm so glad they are finally releasing it with most of the original music.  Another thing that show had was a very cool music consultant who gave the radio station the music credentials of a real rock station.  Radio people have told me they would watch an episode and immediately demand the songs from the episode for their own playlists.

This is the greatest Thanksgiving episode ever made for television, A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving a close second.  Everything about this is perfect.  I am linking to the entire episode, but go to the 16th minute for the real fun to begin.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  It's your Friday link.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/322#i0,p5,d0



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'll review it and as long as it's not dirty, I'll post it (even if you disagree with me).