Friday, October 22, 2021

The Friday Link for 10/22/21

This week I dive back into historic cooking with one of my favorites, Tasting History with Max Miller.

I do enjoy Townsends quite a bit, but Max Miller is a different kind of historical cooking show.  First, some of his recipes go WAY back, so far back it's kind of hard to think we can still translate the recipe as well as find many of the ingredients (something Max is quick to acknowledge if there is no contemporary counterpart).  The variety of recipes goes across the globe too.  Where Townsends focuses on (mostly) North American European settler recipes (which are very well done), Max is global, leading to some really exotic episodes.

Also Max brings the history. He always takes time to break down something about the recipe which has historical context.

This week, three seasonal recipes for you.  First off a very early Apple pie from 1553 which doesn't sound anything like what we know as apple pie. 

Next up is a very strange version of a pumpkin pie from the 1670's and I am intrigued! The idea of apples and pumpkin together sounds fantastic. I might just try this recipe for Thanksgiving this year. 

And for your Halloween, how about a Transylvania pot roast recipe from the 1580's which features a lot of garlic.  I LOVE garlic.  This will ward off any vampires, but it also will ward off most other living and breathing things too.  You've been warned! 


Have a great weekend everyone.  Be healthy and safe!
Get vaccinated!
Wear a mask!

Thanks.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'll review it and as long as it's not dirty, I'll post it (even if you disagree with me).