Saturday, May 30, 2020

The Plumber

A conversation:

Person #1 (could be a Republican, or a member of the news media) - I am SO mad at my plumber.

Person #2 (rational sane person) - Why?

#1 - I can't believe how bad he is at building my new wooden staircase.

#2 - Umm...you said plumber.  Don't you mean carpenter?

#1 - Sure whatever.  I can't believe how badly the plumber did the bannister.

#2 - You just said plumber again, you mean carpenter.


#1 - Carpenter, plumber.  What does it matter?  Since they're both from the workman trades, they all can be lumped into one large group anyway.

#2 - No they can't.  Plumbers are here to fix pipes and drains.  Carpenters work with wood.

#1 - What's the point of me trying to keep them separate.  And speaking of which, that damn plumber also screwed up when they installed the new electrical plugs on my basement!"

#2 - Okay wait a second.  Now you are accusing the plumber of making the mistakes the electrician made.

#1 - Okay, sure I could specifically attribute the actions of the plumber to the plumber, the carpenter to the carpenter, and the electrician to the electrician, but it is much faster for me to just criticize the plumber.  It streamlines the narrative.

#2 - But it blames the plumber for all the actions and mistakes of the carpenter or the electrician.  That's wildly unfair to the plumber when all the plumber was doing was CORRECTLY fixing the drains and pipes.

#1 - Look at you being SOOOO nitpick-y.  Fine, if it makes you feel better I will attribute the actions of the carpenter to the carpenter and the electrician to the electrician.  Happy?  By the way, you know what REALLY made me upset about my local plumber?

#2 - What?

#1 - Well the guy comes here from someplace out of state, shows up and then did a crappy job at fixing the concrete in my driveway.

#2 - Whoa! Did you hit your head?  You mean concrete finisher, NOT plumber! And, if he was from out of state, then he sure wasn't local.  You are purposely going out of your way to unfairly criticize the plumber for things the plumber HAS NOT DONE, even mislabeling the local plumber as an out of state concrete finisher, just because it's convenient to your narrative to blame the plumber for all the bad things that have happened.

#1 - That sounds about right!




The people protesting the death of George Floyd ARE DIFFERENT from the people looting, vandalizing and burning buildings to the ground.  Labeling all the bad behavior as 'being done by protestors' is lazy, designed to vilify people falsely, and dismisses the actions of the people who are undeniably the criminals.

Republicans and media, stop being weak, stop pushing a false narrative and do your damn job.

Protestors protest.  Rioters, looters, arsonists and vandals ARE NOT protesting!

And scene...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'll review it and as long as it's not dirty, I'll post it (even if you disagree with me).