Friday, February 21, 2020

The Friday Link for 2/21/20

I remember when John Oliver filled in for Jon Stewart on the Daily Show back in 2013.  When they announced it, my first thought was "Why not Jason Jones, Samantha Bee or Aasif Mandvi?  Oliver is funny but he seems a bit of a one trick pony; the British guy."  He did have those bits he did with Larry Wilmore which were funny.  I just didn't see him as the host.

I was comically wrong.  I laughed so freaking hard during his run, when it was over, I looked at my wife and said "he'll have his own show." Less than a year later Last Week Tonight debuted and every other host has been playing catch up ever since.

I was reminded about that when Oliver went on Colbert's Show to promote the new season of Last Week Tonight, which debuted this last Sunday.  As always, he embraced  a complicated topic and broke it down in a manner which was hilarious and far easier to understand.  How is it possible, with four full time news networks on cable, not one of them can put together a 20 minutes segment which explains a tough topic like John Oliver does?

John Oliver explains the ups and downs of Medicare for All.  Enjoy!



I hope to see you at the sold out Blue State Ball on Sunday!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'll review it and as long as it's not dirty, I'll post it (even if you disagree with me).