Friday, November 15, 2019

The Friday Link for 11/15/19

I've become addicted to Bon Appétit's YouTube Channel.  I've watched probably 10 hours of it, and for me to watch 10 hours of anything in a single week is a rarity.  That's Doctor Who, Mystery Science Theater 3000 territory for me (NERD!!!).

In particular, I've LOVED Gourmet Makes.  In this series, Pastry Chef Claire Saffitz takes a common, gas station food (for lack of a better term) and tries to make a gourmet version of it.

The appeal of this series is all on Claire.  Her chef talent is in rarefied air.  The ability she has to taste something and almost immediately come up with the science behind the food, and in turn figure out a gourmet version of said item is amazing.  You get emotionally tied up in her triumphs and failures; Claire herself the perfect symbol of a modern hard work and professionalism.  She takes it seriously, and in turn you get addicted.  Plus, she is kind of adorable!

And these things she tackles are not easy to make!  One fun element of the show is the realization that something like Pringles, with its unique shape, is almost impossible to replicate in a home kitchen.  Could you make a Skittle?  I sure as heck couldn't.

And all this while giving you a view in what might be the coolest work environment on the planet.  Seriously, you'll dream of having coworkers and a workspace as cool as these people (Bon Appétit, please hire me!).  By the way, these videos get big viewing numbers, so I'm not alone in my love.

Three episodes this week (they're long!) but you'll love them.  Hot Pockets, Starbursts and Sour Patch Kids!  Enjoy!







Have a great weekend everyone!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'll review it and as long as it's not dirty, I'll post it (even if you disagree with me).