Friday, September 27, 2019

The Friday Link for 9/27/19

This week three educational videos but one more funny than the others.

Let's go with the funny one first.  Ze Frank is brilliant.  I've featured his somewhat adult nature videos before, but he has a brand new one out which tickled my fancy.

Warning - Adult language and themes!

Behold the magic and splendor of True Facts: The Ogre Faced Spider!



For a more serious science video, I'm fascinated by the idea there's possibly a 9th planet out there.  Now I won't rehash the fight over Pluto's rightful status again, although there are a lot of astronomers with sticks up their cabooses.  This is the thought there might be another regular size planet in the far reaches of our solar system.  There seems to be a lot of people who are FAR smarter than I am who fall on both sides of the 'is there' or 'isn't there' a planet 9 discussion.  For example, let me let the brains at CalTech and UCLA fight it out.



Why is Planet 9 (if it does exist) so hard to find?  Distance.  This last video does a very solid job at not only giving you a good idea how far away Planet 9 might be, but how little we really seem to know about the solar system.  Regardless of Planet 9's status, there are asteroids and pieces of space rocks that far away from the sun still being affected by the sun's gravitational pull. Amazing.



Science is cool...and occasionally hilarious.  Have a great weekend everyone!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'll review it and as long as it's not dirty, I'll post it (even if you disagree with me).