Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Concerns

My job as a politically liberal radio host, in my opinion, doesn't demand I publicly proclaim who I'll support for the Democratic nomination for President in 2016.  I've no problem ripping apart the right.  After the civil and rational tone of the Democratic debate last night, the Republicans were exposed as the reality show frauds they really are, a howler monkey exhibit we tune into when they're about to get fed the media attention they crave.  The Democrats, on the other hand, are the educated adults in the race, and hence I need to treat their selection process with thoughtful reverence.

This means I keep quiet.

There is another reason I've decided to be an observer at this point.  The devoted fans of the two main candidates for the Democratic nomination, Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders, are always looking to vilify anyone who they think, rightly or wrongly, is against their nominee.

Last night I posted this image on my social media pages:



I meant it as a little reminder; at the end of the day, we're all Democrats, and we need to coalesce around the Democratic nominee.  Democrats should be ecstatic after last night.  A debate with substance and follow up questions.  Opinions about issues which actually affect every day Americans being presented to the American people, a stark contrast to the "who can grunt loudest" questions the GOP is fielding in their debates.  We have the two best candidates for president residing in the same party.  We should be vigilant, but proudly optimistic.

Overall, as a neutral observer, I feel as if Hillary slightly out performed Bernie, but only slightly.  I think Martin O'Malley gave people a reason to look at him a little more closely, and I think Webb and Chafee should head back home.  These thoughts were mimicked, independently, by main stream media, non-sell out media, and left leaning online media.

Today's rhetoric from both the Sanders and Clinton supporters has been insane. 

Some Hillary supporters are doing a combination of spiking the domination football (like they won the election itself by 50%), contrite insincerity towards Sanders and O'Malley (a 'better luck next time/impress me and I might make you Veep' message), and dire warnings to Vice President Joe Biden to stay away, (or Hillary will cut you)!

Some of the Sanders people are going even more crazy.  It started this morning with comments about how, in their opinion, Sanders did slightly better than Clinton, to touting polls insisting Bernie "destroyed" Clinton and the bias media is lying about the 'real' outcome, to Clinton is really a Republican.  Seriously, they're insisting Hillary is a secret Republican with close ties to Jeb Bush.  

CALM THE F- DOWN! It was one debate, they both looked good, and they both held their own.

This highlights something I'm very concerned about in regards to the election of 2016.  How many of these current supporters of Clinton and Sanders will actually show up and support the other if their candidate doesn't win the nomination?  I think large numbers on both sides will sit the election out, especially Sanders' supporters.  Many of them quite foolishly think if it's not Bernie, then it doesn't matter who wins; they're all the same. 

Meanwhile, the GOP is banking all of their hopes for 2016 on that misinformed mentality.  They'll spend millions of dollars to drive a wedge between the Clinton and Sanders supporters. Disenfranchising a large portion of the Democrats is the only way they can win.

I'm still neutral.  I'll be proud if Sanders, Clinton, Biden or O'Malley is the Presidential nominee.  Let's let the people decide this through the primary process and support their choice.  We can't even begin to think of fixing Citizens United, Hobby Lobby, the TPP, Wall Street, government spying, drones, the war on women's rights, environmental terrorism and injustice in our own streets if the President is a Republican.

Please remember that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'll review it and as long as it's not dirty, I'll post it (even if you disagree with me).