Friday, May 29, 2015

The Friday Link for 5/29/15

This has been a light week on the blog.  The hectic, end of school year schedule I mentioned on-air is stretching my family thin.  We've been so busy, taking a break has been nice, but with it being Friday, duty calls!

Was there any doubt I would be featuring RiffTrax today?  If you didn't hear the excellent hour long visit we had with Bill Corbett on Thursday's show, here is the link:

https://soundcloud.com/am950s-best-interviews/the-morning-grind-bill-corbett-of-mstk3-and-riff-trax

One of the aspects of riffing I talked to Bill about was the writing challenge it presents.  Don't fool yourself, it's tough to write a comedic movie riff well.

I'm like everyone else, I occasionally will throw a line at the movie as I watch it.  My personal favorite is when you watch The Sound of Music, when Julie Andrews leaves the church to go get married, scream at the TV as they lock the nuns behind the gate, "Back you nuns!  Back!" and throw in a few cracking whip sounds.  Good Catholic morning show host fun!

There is a real art to be able to consistently write a joke script to go along with a movie.  You have to understand the complexities of making movies from every angle, you have to have near savant level knowledge of past and current popular culture, plus your timing has to be exceptional.

It does help to have a God awful movie to tear to shreds.  This movie is titled Wonder Women, no not Wonder Woman.  You'll want to see this film because it looks horrific, and it's available here:

http://www.rifftrax.com/wonder-women 

The below link is a ten minute car chase from the film, apparently staged in the Philippines.  The perfect specimen to be dissected!

Warning, it does have some brief sexuality and a bad word or two, but it's a fine piece of viewing.  Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxsvUafg50w


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'll review it and as long as it's not dirty, I'll post it (even if you disagree with me).