Monday, June 29, 2020

Taking a Hike

When we entered quarantine, my usual routine was to go to the gym 4 times a week and run on an elliptical machine.  I really can't run on roads or concrete any more but I stayed in shape by running and lifting.  When everything shut down, I was faced with the same problem a lot of parents were.  What do I do for physical activity now that the gym is closed, AND what do I do to make sure my kids don't just sit on the couch starting at glowing rectangles for the next few months.

When Governor Walz clarified his stay at home order, I was happy to see going for hikes around the metro was still allowed, as long as you obeyed social distancing guidelines.  In the first month or so, that was never a problem as even on trails in very populated areas, there were limited people.

I have hiked so freaking much, something many people know from my near daily hike photos I post on the social media sites.  

Here are the best photos I've taken since I started these 3 to 5 times a week sojourns.  I'll label the park where I was at on each. These are in order from when we started until mid-June.


First up is the Heritage Trail in Downtown Minneapolis.  This was on a Thursday and I've never seen St. Anthony Main so empty.



Bde maka Ska


Lake Harriet 


Uptown


The Bloomington Ferry Trail


Minnehaha Falls


Old Fort Snelling by the airport.


Carver Park Preserve


The Mendota Bridge


French Regional Park


The Minneapolis Sculpture Garden.  The last photo was the one taken of me by the Star Tribune photographer.




Mounds Park


Midtown Greenway


North Mississippi Regional Park



Eagle Lake Regional Park


Anderson Lakes Regional Park



Afton State Park



Theodore Wirth Regional Park


Purgatory Creek Regional Park in Eden Prairie


Excelsior Commons


Minnesota Arboretum



Bryant Lake Regional Park


Rice Marsh Lake Park



Big Willow Park



9 Mile Creek at Central Park in Bloomington, south of 106th.


Pike Island




The George Floyd Memorial at 38th and Chicago, south Minneapolis.



Lakewood Cemetery



The Pilot Knob Preservation Site





This is just a few of the parks I've visited, and the vast majority of parks I've been to are within 5 miles of my house.  You would be shocked at how many parks Minnesota has.  Many of them are stunning, AND FREE!

Get out and take a hike!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'll review it and as long as it's not dirty, I'll post it (even if you disagree with me).