Friday, September 6, 2019

The Friday Link for 9/6/19

For this week, a series I've been meaning to feature for awhile, A.V. Undercover.

Started by the online entertainment website A.V. Club, Undercover was a simple concept.  Get a bunch of songs, and have bands come do covers of the songs.  The songs picked were usually songs which were never covered by bands, due to A) they're classic hits, hence most bands would never touch a classic, B) they're current hits which are generally not getting covered by an established band, or C) they're just plain bad songs (Billy Ocean's Get Out Of My Dreams, Get Into My Car, I'm looking at you!).

The end concept did lead to a few really good covers.  Here are three for you, plus GWAR.  I'll start with a great cover by local guys Hippo Campus, doing their version of ELO's Don't Bring Me Down:



Lake Street Drive does a shockingly good version of A-ha's Take on Me:



In a song which reminds me of some of the best 80's early alternative, Xiu Xiu does a stripped down version of ZZ Top's Sharp Dressed Man:



And finally, the 'winners' of A.V. Undercover are the metal band GWAR.  Search for their version of the aforementioned Billy Ocean song.  I will not post it because of their costumes, but they also did a shockingly good (and funny) version of Kansas', Carry On My Wayward Son:



Rock on Garth!  Have a great weekend everyone.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'll review it and as long as it's not dirty, I'll post it (even if you disagree with me).