Friday, September 4, 2015

The Friday Link for 9/4/15

If you listen to the show or read the station's social media feeds, you know I love art, and I love the modern mediums being explored with artistic expression.  The MIA and the Walker Art Museum have a few video art pieces which are exceptional (Chiho Aoshima, Jennifer Steinkamp, Doug Aitken, Bruce Nauman, Paul Chan, and others).

What I find fun is when you get someone who can take something deeply artistic and make appeal to the masses, slyly, through popular culture.  I don't think anyone does that better than the band OK Go.

OK Go have taken their music videos to the next level with numerous visual tricks and innovations.  They're probably most known for their music video for 'Here it Goes Again,' where they dance on running treadmills, but they've done so many different types of artistic expression in their music videos, it's astounding; all accompanied by their trademark catchy songs.

I say the band OK Go did these, but it's the directors, the artist teams and the band who design and create the videos.  Combined, they're the main artists.  OK Go, for the record, are the ones taking the risks, green lighting the projects.

If you browse their selections, do be careful for the occasional bad word.

Here's my favorite, the giant Rube Goldberg Machine for their song 'This Too Shall Pass'.  It's directed by James Frost, the band, and the folks at Syyn Labs.  Enjoy, and watch over and over and over again to catch it all.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'll review it and as long as it's not dirty, I'll post it (even if you disagree with me).