Friday, June 26, 2020

The Friday Link for 6/26/20

Howdy all!

You know I'm a huge fan of Doctor Who!  In the late-70's, living in Rhode Island, we were one of the few TV markets which experimented with a syndicated version of the 12th and 13th seasons of the show, the first ones with Tom Baker as the 4th Doctor.  I came home one day and instead of Gilligan's Island or McHale's Navy, I watched episode one of The Sontaran Experiment.  Two days later, I watched episode one of Genesis of the Daleks, considered one of the all time classic stories.  Then came Revenge of the Cybermen, Terror of the Zygons, The Brain of Morbius, The Seeds of Doom.  Sweet LORD.  I was immediately hooked. Unfortunately, because they were not resonating like the show did in Britain, the local TV station stopped airing them.

Good news was PBS started airing them late on Friday nights, primarily seasons 12 through 15, the absolute best stretch of shows the series ever had.  I watched them all.  Strangely it wasn't until the early 80's I saw the first episode with Tom Baker, Robot.  While my friends were all debating Star Trek verses Star Wars, I was pretending to go through space and time in a TARDIS. 

I was able to rent some of the classic episodes at video rental shops in the 80's and 90's, but nothing came close to the 4th Doctor's run.  I really enjoyed the 8th Doctor's movie in the mid 90's, and since have enjoyed his radio shows which carried the series to the relaunch in the mid 2000's, starting with the 9th Doctor.  David Tennant and Matt Smith were sensational as the 10th and 11th Doctors.  I really liked the new series 2nd season, but the second half of the 4th season, the 6th season, and the 10th season with Peter Capaldi's 12th Doctor are the only ones which have come close to the consistency of the first half of Tom Baker's run.

I embrace my inner geek this week.  Here is a good video which gives you the complete history of the Doctor, through all his incarnations so far. 
 

For all you non-Doctor Who fans, here is ZeFrank with another True Facts.  This time, Cat's Killer Senses!  Warning, Adult themes! 


Have a great weekend everyone.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'll review it and as long as it's not dirty, I'll post it (even if you disagree with me).