Friday, April 3, 2020

The Friday Link for 4/3/20

The blog has been light this week because I've been buried in the news of the Corona Virus.  How about we go with three wildly different video clips to inspire you as we head into the weekend.

The first is Ryan Reynolds.  The actor most known for Deadpool was a guest of the revised Late Show.  I found hope with Ryan, and his incredibly talented wife Blake Lively, as they've both become the model for compassion in the age of Corona Virus.  Seriously, watch the video and listen to how much these two have done by themselves.  I know they didn't do this for accolades, but I will be their lead cheerleader.  They are hope in a time of crisis.

Plus he's freaking hilarious.



The second video is a guy makes good story, only the guy is not in this video.  Imagine the guy who has all his geeky 'toys;' the action figures, the trading cards, the posters, the things which are still in the box, never to be opened.  Now imagine the wife of this guy calling his bluff, taking his so called 'investment' to the Antiques Roadshow.  Then imagine as the truly excited appraiser tells her that not only is her husband's collection valuable, it's staggeringly valuable.

This woman's reaction runs the gamut from stunned wife, to disbelief,  to "oh my God, what else was I wrong about."



The next video is actually quite amazing.  The end of Washington's Army was 1783.  Portrait photography was really not common before 1840 (and that's being generous.  The first photo of a President was John Quincy Adams, after he left office, in 1843).  That means, going with a bare minimum age of 14 years old in 1783, and going with these pictures being taken in 1840 (which I guarantee most of them weren't) the youngest one of these guys could've been was 71.

Take a look at the old photos of the veterans of the Revolutionary War.  I know one has to be a painting, but still.  This is remarkable we have these photos at all.  The only photo with a label was one for Daniel Frederick Bakeman, who is listed as the last Revolutionary soldier alive in 1868; a spry 109.

Why do I find inspiration here?  These men grew up in a country where the average life expectancy in 1776 was 35.  They survived fighting the Revolutionary War, survived multiple other wars, multiple disease outbreaks, multiple lean years, multiple hardships and, in the case of Bakeman, the Civil War!

We can get through this pandemic.  We'll do it together.



And why not, I'll throw in Little Mix's latest song Wasabi.  This will be a huge hit.

I am eclectic!



Try to have a great weekend everyone.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'll review it and as long as it's not dirty, I'll post it (even if you disagree with me).