Friday, April 10, 2020

The Friday Link for 4/10/20

Hi all.  I took today off.  The weight of the news in this pandemic is outrageous.  Every day I keep waiting for Trump to do the bare minimum of effective leadership in a time of crisis and every day I end up staring wide eyed into the distance after hearing Trump brag about his ratings.

It's getting to be too much.  I needed to take a day.

Although it will be a very different Easter than ones we've had in the past, I'm looking forward to it.  If you're celebrating Passover or Easter this weekend, Ramadan later this month, or just like eating candy, I hope you have a great weekend.

Three for you this Friday.  First up is John Oliver's sensational takedown of OAN, the extreme far right fringe "news" network.  It's not news, it's a Trump version of that TV station in North Korea which just exists to heap praise on their dictator.  Seriously, that's all OAN is.

Oliver is correct about one thing.  Back in the mid-90's I remember watching Fox News when it first started up.  I laughed.  Who in their right mind would want to see this bias outrageous far right validation machine masquerading as news.  I grossly underestimated the amount of people who didn't want to hear the actual news, but rather just wanted their narrative validated.  Thanks in large part to Fox News, we had 8 years of W., an insane litany of far right incompetence serving in state and federal government, anti-American far right racist and religious groups given a platform to promote their extremism, and Trump.

OAN is trying to do the same thing, but instead of mimicking Fox News, they're trying to outdo them. They look at a worthless joke like Louie Gohmert and say 'how do we get many more of him?'  I actually think OAN might be a deep fake from Fox News themselves to try to make their news network seem more mainstream.  Regardless, if we don't take this threat seriously, how long before we have a propped up right wing Republican Presidential candidate who makes Gohmert look like a Rhodes scholar.

If you haven't seen OAN, let Oliver break it down for you.



Next up a great lesson in resourceful cooking.  A few of the cooking channels have tried to put out 'recipes to get through a quarantine with.'  Townsends, the historical cooking people I love, recently had a great soup recipe which was made form only old bread and cheese.  I won't feature it this week because I just had them on, but I encourage you to find that one on You Tube.

Bon Appétit, who has all of their chefs currently cooking from their own kitchens, had them all do a simple pantry pasta.  It is a sensational episode with many of the recipes being amazingly quick and easy, with minimum ingredients.  And they are all family friendly when it comes to making them.



Finally this week, I'm going to post the State Of the State speech from Minnesota Governor Tim Walz.  Minnesota has been able to slow down the spread of CoronaVirus better than any other state in the country.  We've done it behind his leadership and decisions.

As we keep waiting for any signs of leadership from the Federal government, listen to this speech and find the one thing we've been missing from Trump and his supporters, hope.



Thank God for Governor Tim Walz.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'll review it and as long as it's not dirty, I'll post it (even if you disagree with me).