Friday, August 24, 2018

The Friday Link for 8/24/18

As we get ready to wrap up summer, let me fondly remember one of the best reasons to stay inside on summer Friday nights, the PBS airing of the final season of Great British Bake Off.

Yes it was un-apologetically British.  Yes they dealt with intricate lattice work and sugary frostings.  Yes they had some of the most repressed people in history having their first broaches with emotions.  It was AMAZING!

I've often said they had to make this in Britain because if they made this show in the US, the hosts would be constantly calling the contestants pathetic, the show would introduce a mystery ingredient from some far off land which no one in their right mind would ever use, contestants would be constantly recording prepared snarky lines to deliver with American jerkishness, there would be a bikini week, and one contestant would have to bake on a shovel each week.  Thank goodness England saved us.

I love the show and I've tried baking more than a few things I've seen on the show.  I've even avoided the 'soggy bottom,' as I imagined I was getting a "scrummy" from Mary Berry.  The Great British Bake Off also produced the greatest Reality Show contestant ever, Howard from Season 4.  His nebbish, nerdy British-ness was what initially hooked me in, but when he almost put his face on a hot griddle, I fell in love.  He is the best.


The worst part of the show is how they never factor in consistency into the final winner decision.  Three times the best baker was not awarded the title at the end of the season because that one episode is all that mattered.  If you're really looking for the best in anything, consistency should be a metric.

The show left the BBC for another British network, and so the final season PBS had agreed to air (the actual 3rd season of the show) finished up a week ago and so now...sigh...

Here are Watch Mojo's top 10 moments from the original show.



Also Watch Mojo's top 10 contestants...No Howard?!?  How dare they!



Have a great weekend everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'll review it and as long as it's not dirty, I'll post it (even if you disagree with me).