Monday, March 12, 2018

Blue State Ball 2018

It's time for my annual recap of the big night from AM 950's annual Democratic Party get together, The Blue State Ball.

My usual disclaimer, I do not complain about quality of photos when I ask others to take shots for me, especially since my phone is getting old and takes forever to focus!


We had a hoot of a time at the same location from last year, The Blaisdell Mansion in Minneapolis!


It's a great location in south Minneapolis, with a huge venue room in the back you see below!


We had sponsor tables set up before the big night began.



The first to arrive were the National hosts, which I was happy about.  We've had situations in the past where flights get delayed and for the first half hour I'm the 'VIP.'  For those past years, I apologize!  

First up was one of the smartest people I've ever met, Thom Hartmann.


And fan favorite Norman Goldman!


The AM 950 staff was there too! Laura, Jennifer, Ryan 




And my AM 950 producers, Brett, Hunter and Eric!



After the doors opened up for the General Admission crowd, the political speakers got going.  We got the evening kicked off with the Mayor of Minneapolis, Jacob Frey, who makes me feel REALLY old.  He gave a great rousing progressive speech.




  Our VIP for the evening was Senator Amy Klobuchar.  She is an amazing public servant, who thinks about her constituents before she votes.




We had three of the DFL Candidates for Minnesota Governor.  As I type this, I just read that the fourth, Tina Liebling just announced she's leaving the race, so technically, all of the candidates attended.  Rep. Tim Walz was the first to make an appearance.



Rebecca Otto, the outgoing State Auditor, has been at so many of these, and she was in attendance again, this time as a Governor candidate.



And Rep. Erin Murphy was able to attend too.  She ended up beginning the second half of the evenings speeches.  I should also note we did have a bit of an accident when an attendee fell.  Murphy, with her nursing background, immediately rushed to the woman's aide, leaving behind the politician cloak and becoming a first responder.  (Thanks to her and to all first responders who tended the woman)



They then let this jackass on the stage...




I introduced Norman...


Which then led to the local host after me, Mike McIntee.  He does such great work with The Uptake, a Minnesota version of C-Span, but with much better direction and content.  




And finally, Thom took the stage as the headliner!



Some of the local hosts, and friends of the station included musician Paul Metsa and host Ellie Krug, amongst others.







and Bill Luther, the former Congressman and one of my favorite all time politicians was there too!


And finally, the listeners, who I'm so grateful for everyday.






I leave you with regular caller, Gary from Minneapolis, tearing up the dance floor. 



See you in 2019!




















No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'll review it and as long as it's not dirty, I'll post it (even if you disagree with me).