Sunday, March 22, 2020

An Explanation about Consistency

Yesterday I posted this meme on social media:


I posted this because I'm terrified about what will happen in the US with CoronaVirus, mainly due to the ham handed response of our ham handed 'leader' (Trump).  If you read this, it's factually accurate.  

I had a very dear friend respond to me with this:


I can completely understand her response and I think I do owe people an explanation.  Let me start by stating this meme, and many others I post, are about consistency.

I spent 8 years in this country hearing infuriated vein popping red faced Republicans screaming about how President Barack Obama needed to be removed from his position because he had disgraced the office of the President.  What violations made these Republicans scream for impeachment and resignation letters?  Such outrages as dijon mustard on a hamburger, selfie sticks, latte salutes, mom jeans, bowing too deeply, umbrella-gate, hip hop in the Oval Office, chewing gum, basketball brackets and many other "offenses."  They even called for Obama to be removed because his wife, First Lady Michelle Obama, had planted a garden at the White House, had and advocated for healthier school lunches.

And they did indeed demand Obama resign for such trivial things!

Meanwhile, we've seen a nightmare presidency unfold in front of us with Trump's near hourly missteps and mistakes.  The Republicans remain silent; not a peep.  As I've written, the only people who are happy with him are people who are wealthy (because he gives them tons of taxpayer dollars for just being wealthy), racists (because he validates them), and the Republican voters who've placed hating Democrats as their primary motivation.  They love Trump because they feel he "owns the Libs." 

Even the one legit issue they complained about under President Obama, the deficit, is FAR WORSE under Trump.  The same people who would send out DAILY outrage posts about how 'Obama was bankrupting the economy' haven't even mentioned that issue.

In the end, most of them hated Obama 1) because of the color of his skin and 2) because they were told to hate him by the right wing news media. 

How I wish Barack Obama was in charge right now...

Today, we're facing a crisis not seen since the Great Depression and World War II.  We have a virus spreading across this country at an alarming rate.  On top of that, we have an economy which is collapsing around us.  Trump's not responsible for COVID-19, but his insanely stupid response to the disease in January and February, and his undecipherable response to the pleas for help from our medical community today, are UNDOUBTEDLY going to get more people killed.  

That's the point of the meme.  Where are the people who screamed 'resign' when dijon mustard was put on a hamburger?  Where are the demands for Trump to leave after the hundreds of scandals BY FAR more outrageous than anything Obama did?  Where's the consistency from the so called earnest, salt of the earth, high moral fiber Republicans?

These memes are also me calling out Republican racism towards President Obama, something I will not let them ever forget.

I'm scared by this virus, and I do want to see everyone safe.  I pray this CoronaVirus won't be as bad as people think.  But my hope doesn't prevent me from seeing the cause of what's making this problem worse, or the silence of those who screamed the sky is falling for eight years, but whom haven't said a dang thing as the world crashes all around us.  

Thanks for holding me accountable. I appreciate it.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'll review it and as long as it's not dirty, I'll post it (even if you disagree with me).