Tuesday, February 18, 2020

The Myth of Bernie Bros.

Every time I bring up something slightly less than positive about Bernie Sanders, the Vermont Senator and current frontrunner for the Democratic nomination, I get swamped with 'Bernie Bros.'  This refers to rabid Bernie supporters on social media who start screaming at 5000 decibels whenever they feel someone is attacking 'their guy.'  They generally produce the same negative comments over and over again:  "The DNC is cheating Bernie, again!", "Hillary Clinton was a demon!", "every other candidate on the Democratic side is a demon", and (ironically) "why haven't the rest of the Democrats gotten behind Bernie?"

For the record, I will GLADLY vote for Bernie Sanders if he is the Democratic nominee.  I will, but I might not vote for him in the primary.  Who I do vote for is for me and me alone, but everyone in the Democratic field from Bernie to Bloomberg would be a dramatic improvement over Trump.

But after my 500th run in with Bernie Bros. online I noticed something.  Whenever I talk to a Bernie supporter in the real world, face to face, they're always passionate about their guy, but they ALWAYS mention how they'll vote for whomever the Democrats nominate.  They're never mean in person, and talk about how we can't make the same mistake twice, in regards to Trump.  This includes callers to my radio show where it would be easy for a rabid Bernie supporter (or a supporter of any candidate) to get on air and scream a social media post at me.  Nope, I've never had a Bernie Bros. caller.  In person, I have yet to run into the 'my way or the highway' Bernie fans, which seem to be taking up residence on everyone's online social media sites lately.

That's when I developed a theory about the online Bernie Bros., and the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced I'm correct;

Bernie Bros. are a myth!

This is not saying there are not real Bernie supporters online.  Of course there are, and that's perfectly fine.  What I am referring to are the Bernie Bros. specifically; extremely intense, extremely over the top Bernie supporters who many of my friends have had numerous run ins with.

I don't think these 'all or nothing' online Bernie supporters are real supporters.  I think they're a creation of the Trump/Russian re-election team, trying to drive another wedge into the Democratic party for 2020.  Trump wants to face Bernie Sanders in 2020 because he feels he can label him as a commie, potentially driving away independent voters and moderate Democrats, but to make sure whomever gets the Democratic nomination is a party divider, they've come up with a plan to create fake Bernie fans to berate all other Democrats.  That way they're actively creating a divide with Bernie fans on one side, and the rest of the party on the other.  No matter whom the Democrats nominate, they can utilize the schism for their ultimate goal, getting a large portion of the Democratic Party to stay at home.  All it takes is some fake accounts lashing out like belligerent jackasses when anyone crosses their path.

(Some Bernie Bros. preparing for an online debate?)

But here's their mistake, they're TOO much of belligerent jackass.  Here are five ways I find they're exposing their true selves:
  1. No other Democratic nominee appeals to Bernie Bros.?  That makes no sense as Elizabeth Warren is very close to Bernie on a lot of policy issues.  And we've had multiple Democrats (who have withdrawn) who also embraced a progressive agenda.  Bernie Bros. insisting no on else in the Democratic Party comes close to Bernie tips their cap they're intentionally not looking at the field fairly.
  2. Bernie Bros.'s tone is WAY too obnoxious.  As Bernie Bros. scream "Hillary sucks, and Amy sucks, and Bloomberg sucks, and Warren sucks, and Biden sucks, and Buttigieg sucks," I've repeatedly told them they're going to need all Democrats to vote for Bernie, so why such a scorched earth policy?  For the most part, real world Bernie fans NEVER badmouth like the online Bernie Bros. do.  It feels like their real goal is to turn off all other Democrats to Bernie.
  3. Bernie Bros. ALWAYS will bash on Hillary Clinton, usually with the deliciously ironic attitude of "Hillary can't let it go!" When I point out Hillary Clinton isn't running in 2020, they pivot to bash on the other 2020 candidates.  It's like they are purposely bringing up Hillary to infuriate the real Bernie supporters, to keep 2016 top of mind.  Most real world Bernie supporters are FAR more focused on Biden and Bloomberg.
  4. Bernie Bros. sound like Trump supporters!  Seriously they do!  I've interacted with my fair share of both Trump zealots and Bernie Bros.  They sound very similar at times; something I'm convinced is more than a coincidence.  Bernie Bros. sound like Republicans pretending to be Democrats.
  5. I've had Bernie Bros. insist they'd rather have Trump for four more years instead of any of the other Democrats.  Stop.  Think about this for a second....No!  No progressive far left Democrat would still think Trump would be a better option, especially after the last 3 years.  There's no way a real Bernie Supporter would be for Trump in 2020.  
Like I said, something here does not add up.  Most of the Bernie Bros. being Russian/Trump agents makes a lot of sense.  In the end, most Democrats are trying to apply a rational discussion to people trying to be irrational, people whose goal is to frustrate and infuriate the rest of the party.

Which brings me to my advice:

BLOCK THEM!

Seriously, block them and say goodbye.  Either they're a Trump supporter in disguise just trying to make you mad, OR they're really just belligerent fools who clearly shouldn't be interacted with.  Regardless, block them and be done with it.  And legit Bernie supporters, ask the question: "Even though these people seem to be on my side, are they actually doing more damage for my candidate with their belligerent tone, unnecessary insults and Trump like demands of unwavering loyalty?"

Back in 2016, I started noticing certain trends in social media which I now realize was the Russians and Trump manipulating the online world against the Democrats.  In 2020, I won't tolerate anything which even slightly smells like fraud, and Bernie Bros. stink.  Block them and you shall be free...or at least saner.  And your online life will probably be a lot more enjoyable too. 

Try to make up your own mind this primary/caucus season, with as little social media influence as possible.  It's the only way to be safe.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'll review it and as long as it's not dirty, I'll post it (even if you disagree with me).