Friday, February 8, 2019

The Friday Link for 2/8/19

For this Friday, we revisit nuclear annihilation!

When I was in high school back in 1983, there was a "for God's sake, maybe we should realize how deadly and dangerous nuclear weapons are" genre coming out of Hollywood.  I think a lot of it had to do with Reagan, and how freaking flippant he was about suggesting the US would just nuke the other guys before they could nuke us.  There is a reason why Ronald Reagan became Ronnie Ray-Gun!

The most recognizable entity in this genre was 'The Day After,' the star studded nuclear apocalypse movie which came with a warning:  "These images might be too terrifying for some viewers."  You know what else is terrifying?  Dying instantly in a inferno blast or dying slowly form nuclear poisoning.  Republicans HATED 'The Day After.'  How dare you inform us of what our nuclear buildup will eventually lead to!

Another entry from this genre is the Friday Link.  'Special Bulletin' was a fairly well done nuclear disaster film, done in the form of breaking news on the fictitious RBS network.  You see a lot of recognizable faces on the 'broadcast,' and some elements are WAY too formulated, but I remember this movie having a far bigger impact on me and my friends at the time.  I think it was because it felt like you were watching an actual news report.  Goodbye Charleston!



Thank goodness we finally woke up from all of that and...wait a second...Trump's undoing WHAT?!?

Let's hope we don't have to revisit this genre in the future.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'll review it and as long as it's not dirty, I'll post it (even if you disagree with me).