Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Loss

My father, Charles B. McNeil, has passed away.  He was a great Minnesotan.

Born in 1929, he lived to a month shy of his 90th birthday.  I will always remember the laughter he and my mother generated together.  He raised 7, SEVEN, kids and they have all been successful in life.  He was an outstanding hunter, an amazing fisherman and a top notch all around outdoorsman.  He has a master dog owner and trainer.  He was a fine chef, the greatest grill cook I've ever seen.  He taught me to love Minnesota's traditional foods, like pasties, wild rice, wild game, and shore lunch. He made the best chicken I've ever had.

He found great pleasure in the simplest things, teaching me to enjoy life as it occurred around me.  He loved nature.  He taught me the value of hard work with intention, how to do the job right the first time.  He was always the hardest worker, only leaving the heavy lifting to me when he himself could no longer do it.  He taught me flowers always brighten up a room.  He loved sports, especially hockey, but never placed them on a higher perch than they needed to be.

He never stopped trying to understand me, even when I was beyond understanding.  He loved my wife as if she was his own daughter.  He always perked up with my kids, his grandkids.  They loved his stories and idolized him.  He taught me to respect the past generations.  He was a wonderful son.  He taught me what it meant to love your family.

He was incredibly intelligent, and always made me prove my point. He had a dry humor which was usually matched with his charming smile and laugh.  He was a magnificent father and a great man. I was lucky to have him in my life.  He will indeed be missed.




1 comment:

  1. Sorry for your loss. It sounds like he lives on within you.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'll review it and as long as it's not dirty, I'll post it (even if you disagree with me).