Friday, February 24, 2017

The Friday Link for 2/24/17

Jim Gaffigan!  Why the heck not...

I'm one of the few people who remembers his first TV show attempt, the very funny 'Welcome to New York,' where he played a midwestern weatherman who gets hired to work on a New York City morning TV show.  I enjoyed it, but I think it got lost in the insanity that was the 2000 election aftermath and the Supreme Court nonsense afterwards.

I occasionally hear his early stuff on the Sirius/XM Comedy Channels.  He used more colorful language in the early days, but, as is the case of many performers, having kids seems to have cleaned up his act.  I'd describe his style as 'self criticizing everyman who has become a master at observational humor.'  He's funny, and he's one of the few comedians out there who really delivers in long comedy specials.  The latest on Netflix is quite good.

One of the reasons I really like him is he's part of a new Catholic Progressives movement.   Gaffigan is notoriously shy about politics in his act, but he was described as a Progressive Christian in an article in 2015, something he's shared more about in various interviews since then, albeit briefly.  Gaffigan, Colbert, Fugelsang...these guys are my heroes right now because they never shy away from being Catholic, but reject a far right Republican version of Christianity which doesn't resemble the faith they, and myself, hold dear to our hearts.  Feeding the hungry, treating the sick, giving shelter to the homeless, and welcoming in strangers from strange lands...those are supposed to be big elements of Christianity, and Catholic progressives get that.

For a Friday treat, here's what might be my favorite special he has done, Mr. Universe.  Enjoy!




If you liked this, try anything he's done.  You'll be happy.  Have a great weekend everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'll review it and as long as it's not dirty, I'll post it (even if you disagree with me).