Sunday, February 14, 2016

The Humphrey/Mondale Dinner - 2016

On Friday night, I had the absolute pleasure of attending the Humphrey/Mondale dinner at RiverCenter in St. Paul.  Ken Martin, the head of the DFL, asked if my wife and I would be interested in attending the event as his guests.  I jumped at the opportunity.

I've been to many political rallies, and when I see the one or two politicians who are in attendance, I get all fan boy.  I like politics, and I like politicians who are not just concerned about their re-election campaign, or the lobbying gig they're auditioning for after their term.  I like politicians who care about the people, all of the people, including the people who might not have voted for them.  The GOP, both nationally and in Minnesota, has turned their backs on the communities which didn't vote for them (Minneapolis, the Iron Range, the Twin Cities Metro, pretty much every minority group),  This is the worst element of modern politics, and it's downright un-Christian.  For goodness sake, they refused to give North Minneapolis tornado relief in 2011, and just told unemployed iron workers with no benefits to suck it up, even though they have a budget surplus they wouldn't even dent by helping them.  Sad.

Through Ken, and the DFL's, graciousness, I was also allowed to attend the Governor's reception prior to the event.  I was star struck.  To walk in and see US Congressmen, State Senators, State House Representatives, metro area city officials and state office holders, all together, in one room, is outstanding.  We stayed in the reception for only about 20 minutes, and then headed to the main exhibition hall for the dinner, which was amazingly tasty!  As we kept walking further and further towards the front of the hall, I realized we'd been given very good seats.  We dined in the fourth table row from the front, dead square center to the speaker's podium.  I promised photos...

First, let me mention all of the politicians I shook hands with, but for whatever reason, I wasn't able to get a photo with:  Governor Mark Dayton, MN-08 Congressman Rick Nolan, Minnesota Secretary of State Steve Simon, State Attorney General Lori Swanson, Matt Little, the Mayor of Lakeville, who I hope will take over the MN Senate seat held by the retiring Dave Thompson, and Marla Vagts, a great candidate who I hope takes away Garofalo's Minnesota House seat in 58B!  There were also numerous Minnesota Senators, Representatives, state officials, and DFL workers I ran into, too many to mention here, but what a delight to see them all (somehow I missed one of my favorite politicians, Rep. Erin Murphy).

Let me start with my favorite retired Minnesota politician, and a hero of mine, former MN-06 Congressman Bill Luther.


Bill has been an inspiration for me.  His wife, Janet Robert, was the leader who helped create and drive progressive radio in the Twin Cities for over 10 years.  Bill has taught me how to be compassionate, but steadfast.  His knowledge and guidance have made me a better Democrat, and a better person.

On the way to the Main Hall, I ran into House Minority Leader Paul Thissen.

He's been great on air, and is fighting a belligerent wave of idiocy, disguised as the Republican House majority.  He's the best ally we could hope for in the Republican den of thieves.

This gives you an idea, although a blurry one, of how close to the stage we were sitting.  Note, I'm wearing a collared shirt and a tie, like a big boy!


Next up, one of my favorite Minnesota office holders, MN State Auditor Rebecca Otto.


Her office has been viciously attacked by the MNGOP, as they look for ways to remove oversight in the state.  She's been relentless in fighting for Minnesota, and for her office.  If the Auditor disappears, as many Republicans wish it would, Minnesota taxpayers would lose millions in cronyism and back room deals with private businesses.  Please support her fight!

Then I had a nice 1-2 punch. First was the Senior US Senator from Minnesota, Amy Klobuchar!  


Remember, when Norm Coleman was fighting to keep Al Franken out of the Senate, she was the only Senator the state had, and served all who came into her office, never once turning a person away because they came from a Republican district or didn't vote for her.  Depending on who wins the Presidency, she might be on a short list for an Administration position.  Next up, MN-01 Congressman Tim Walz!  


Tim is the consummate example of a rural, moderate Democrat.  He came on my show two years ago and gave one of the best arguments ever for expanding food assistance for the needy, not cutting it.  Some Democrats are really old moderate Republicans looking for a home.  Not Tim Walz.  He is a Democrat, proud and blue, through and through!  

Then came the speeches.  First up, Ken Martin, the head of the DFL,


MN-05 Congressman Keith Ellison,


The Junior US Senator from Minnesota, Al Franken.  His speech was very funny and was also good old fashion Progressive politics.


Senator Klobuchar took the stage.


Then came the Democratic candidate for the MN-02 Congressional seat, currently held by Republican John Kline (who's retiring!), Angie Craig!  I was so happy to meet Angie in the Governor's reception earlier (I did not get a photo of that meeting).  Her story is amazing; coming from a low income background, and garnering success at every endeavor she's embraced.  She and her wife have four kids.  She's the face of modern Minnesota diversity and opportunity, and I'm proud to support her in her race.  She also had the unpleasant responsibility of the 'donation speech,' the speech which tells all in attendance to please make another donation.  She nailed it. 


Next up was the best freaking governor in the country, Governor Mark Dayton.  I love how his speech consisted of pointing out all of the horrible things he's stopped the GOP from doing.  


Then came the Main event!  First up was Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders.


His speech was great, and reminded me of the passion of Paul Wellstone.  As progressive as his ideas are, you can't disagree with his arguments.  He's outraged about the inequity we have in America today, and his popularity with younger voters, giving them the hope they so rarely get from politicians today, is easy to understand.  He's not nearly the outraged old man he's often depicted as, by media and comedians, but he was animated.  One minor criticism, his speech was basically the same one he's been giving for the last three months.  He might want to try to refresh it a little.  I'm not saying he should change, rather update.


Second was Former Secretary of State and First Lady Hillary Clinton.


She's a polished public speaker, a culmination of experience in controlling tough rooms.  She's nothing like the media portrayers her.  She's very personable, and relatable.  Her speech was new, a result of having to adjust her message more to the left, but it never came off as pandering.  She went with her record and her strengths, which, frankly, makes a pretty impressive resume.  She had the line of the night: "I'm a Progressive who can make progress."  That's a good line, and where I could make an argument she's not really representative of the Progressive side of the Democratic party, she was more on offense than Sanders, making sure to praise Bernie's agenda, while at the same time asking the question of how he would get it done.  


I'm still undecided, but I loved the speeches and the event.  A big thanks to Ken Martin.  I really appreciate it.  I leave you with Senator Al Franken...






1 comment:

  1. What a treat to be in the room with such DFL royalty. A friend and colleague of mine attended the dinner and reminded me why we suffer through the harsh winters... It's the Mark Dayton's, Amy Klobuchars, Jim Davnies, the Humphreys, Mondales, Franken...et al! I could never bring myself to trade these defenders of decency for the warmth of the south and all it's moral decay. Lets face it,decay wrapped up in Jesus and the flag is especially repulsive. I'll keep the warmth of genuine human beings, and I'll bask in the glow of knowing they've got my back.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'll review it and as long as it's not dirty, I'll post it (even if you disagree with me).