Friday, February 5, 2016

The Friday Link for 2/5/16

I have talked about Canadian comedy before but that was about The Kids in the Hall.  I don't believe I ever posted the kings of Canadian comedy, SCTV.  Since they were just featured in a story about the 10 best characters from the show, an article which reminded me how funny they were, I had to revisit them this Friday.

The show featured one of the best ensembles ever, including future superstars John Candy, Harold Ramis, Catherine O'Hara, Rick Moranis, and Martin Short, but also the incredibly underrated and (I am not joking) possibly the greatest ensemble players ever in comedy: Joe Flaherty, Eugene Levy, Andrea Martin and Dave Thomas.  They all knew when to be the lead in the bit, and when to be in the background.  They played off of each other so well.  Never any denial.

The insanely funny crew at SCTV had numerous great characters.  Here are a few of my favorite:

John Candy's Johnny LaRue, in hindsight, was Crack Smoking Mayor of Toronto Rob Ford 35 years before him.  Here's one of my favorite moments of his.  John Candy, you'll always be missed.


Bob and Doug Mackenzie were the template for the dumb guy bit.  You know, too stupid for their own good, but they make good in the end.  The 90's Bros. comedies owes them a lot of residual checks.  Their movie Strange Brew is one of my favorite cult classic movies.  The fact Rick Moranis walked away from his career at the height of his popularity, so he could raise his kids after his wife passed away, makes him one of my heroes.  



Freaking Count Floyd.  Joe Flaherty at his absolute comedic best and is one of the best comedy characters ever, as the host of the late night horror movie show on SCTV, a horror movie which was never scary  Such a good character bit.


And finally, 20 plus years before Will Ferrell knocked them dead with his version of Alex Trebek, Eugene Levy did the bit, only better.  His exasperated game show host dealing with dim bulb dolts who can't answer anything is a riot.  Note, Matin Short is doing the a variation of the character who would later show up on one of the all time funnest SNL bits, the men's synchronized swim team.  Enjoy! (for some reason, I can't embed that one, so I saved it for last!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTDsJd1l7Aw


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'll review it and as long as it's not dirty, I'll post it (even if you disagree with me).