Friday, February 12, 2016

The Friday Link for 2/12/16

I know it's been light this week on the blog, but I'm so mad about what happened in 50B.  More on that this weekend.  Yes, it's taken me a week to calm down from that debacle.  I didn't want to write a blog piece that included copious amounts of MF's.

Tonight, I'm at the Humphrey/Mondale Dinner, so I need to post this early, and it needs to be quick.

Samantha Bee returned to the air this week with her TBS show Full Frontal.  Misogyny must be the reason more women are not tapped for late night talk shows, and to point a mirror at my industry, morning drive radio hosts.  In radio it's nuts.  I've met hilarious, quick witted, top notch radio pros, who happen to be a women, but yet when a radio station needs a new morning show, they're never called.  The usual comment is "I'm saving you for midday."

When it comes to late night television, women are getting more opportunities, but it still trails behind their male counterparts.  When a woman is given a chance on late night, what I see is a lack of commitment and support by the networks.  It's like they have to be winning their time slot within a week, or the network gives up on them.  Meanwhile, men are allowed to fester in third or fourth place, for years(!), without any sign the network is dissatisfied with their performance.  Samantha Bee, if TBS is committed and supportive, should have a long, successful run.  She's just that funny.

The first episode was brilliant.  God I missed you!  A little salty language but very funny.  Enjoy!

Part 1:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkVAxyVhsis

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmFsf4AcFTY

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'll review it and as long as it's not dirty, I'll post it (even if you disagree with me).