Thursday, January 28, 2016

The End is Also the Beginning...

I remember April 9th, 2012.  That was the day of my first Morning Grind show.  I had what all morning show hosts have the night before their first show; absolutely zero sleep.  As I got ready for the show, I was super excited, pretty much the same feeling I have every morning.  I remember not exactly knowing how the show was going to go, but I knew we were going to have fun doing it.

Almost four years later, with a heavy heart, tomorrow, January 29th, 2016, will be the last Morning Grind.

Starting on February 1st, I'll be hosting the 3 PM hour, in the aptly named The Matt McNeil show. As always, Bryan will be by my side.

Change is constant, and it happens.  The station management made the decision to change the schedule in an effort to deliver a better product for the listeners, and for the station clients who keep us on-air.  It sounds like a cliche to say what we are doing is important, but over the last four years, I've witnessed the near destruction of the liberal talk format nationally by conservative elements, a system which gives national conservative hosts million dollar bonuses even when they're losing money, while at the same time telling Progressive hosts they need to work for "FREE" for a year to see if it's 'worth their time.'  We're one of the last bastions of full time Progressive talk left in this country. Yeah, what we do IS important, and keeping this station on the air matters.

I'm pleasantly surprised at how many listeners the Morning Grind has had over the years.  They tune in every day; reliable regular callers, thousands of locals chiming in on the various topics, and the numerous national calls we constantly received.  From the bottom of my heart, I'm truly grateful for every person who woke up and started their day with me.  Thank you so very much.  The Morning Grind was also financially successful thanks to the wonderful sponsors who have stayed with the show from the beginning, mainly because the listeners constantly visit their businesses and tell them how much they appreciate them advertising.  Please keep it up.

At the end of the day, the Morning Grind was a tremendous success; a really nice win.  Thanks once again.

I look forward to the 3 PM hour on Monday, I look forward to not waking up at 4 AM and not going  bed at 8:30 PM, but most of all I look forward to talking with you, as always.  See you on the flip side!

4 comments:

  1. I can't begin to tell you how unhappy this decision by AM950 makes me! I tune in to the Morning Grind every morning from the red state of Nebraska and it's one of the few places I can turn for common sense progressive talk! Matt & Bryan, you guys do an amazing job & I will follow you to 3:00 pm, but I can only hope the management at AM950 comes to their senses quickly! 2016 sucks bad so far!!!

    Signed,

    Dan from Nebraska

    ReplyDelete
  2. All politics are local and that's why I used my brief morning drive time to listen to you. I don't think I want a national show at that hour. I'll probably shift to my standby Morning Show at KBEM-FM. I have really liked the Morning Grind (and I will continue to enjoy Ian Levitt and (the national) Norm Goldman in the PM drive time. (and frequent visits to AM950 advertizer Crooner's Lounge). Best of luck at 3:00, a time I seldom can listen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From sunny California....this pisses me off!!! Your show was so worth waking up at 4am so I could hear your voice and opinions. What is this station thinking?????

    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  4. From sunny California this really pisses me off! You were so worth getting up at 4 AM to listen to your voice and opinion .What is the station thinking????

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'll review it and as long as it's not dirty, I'll post it (even if you disagree with me).