Friday, July 24, 2015

The Friday Link for 7/24/15

This is just cool to say - Jim Gaffigan was interviewed by Keith Olbermann!

I'll start with the later.  I'm a liberal morning show host today because of Keith Olbermann.  In the early days of the W. Bush administration, there was a culling of left leaning voices out of media.  It didn't matter if the targets were actually left leaning or not, the mentality was to stop any voice which might have been perceived as critical of war, and in turn Bush/Cheney.  Olbermann was Phil Donahue's replacement at MSNBC, and in the year that followed, he seemed to be the only rational voice in American media.  When his critics came after him, he didn't hesitate or back down, rather he used his intelligence, and the facts, to bolster his arguments.  Watching his take downs gave me hope this country had some normalcy left.  He pre-dated the Daily Show's rise from cable network filler to political juggernaut, and he cleared a path for Air America to follow in his footsteps.

When I was offered a show at AM 950 in 2010, I kept asking myself if I should take it.  I followed, what I felt was, Keith's lead, deciding I was done having Program Directors stifling my real thoughts on air, feeling Minneapolis/St. Paul needed an experienced local progressive radio voice.  Olbermann taught me to always research, be ready to back up my position, and make sure I had the same passion every day.  Frankly, Keith Olbermann is my hero.  Now that he's finishing up at ESPN (he's also one of the smartest baseball and all around sports minds out there), I pray he finds another media outlet and returns to politics.

Gaffigan has been featured on the Friday Link before.  Here he does an interview for his new TV show, from about two weeks ago.  I'm glad he is finally getting his own show geared around his life, not having some idiot industry guy try to jam him into a role set aside for "current popular comedian."

Here's the interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FB3e7o1yc0k


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'll review it and as long as it's not dirty, I'll post it (even if you disagree with me).