Sunday, June 7, 2015

More for the Friday Link...on a Sunday

I was in Albertville for the weekend.  It was pleasant, as the outlet mall there has brought in numerous businesses, and the drive wasn't too bad.  Without traffic, using backroads (because every freaking road was routed onto 169 this weekend), it took 35 minutes to get there.  Cute town, lovely church in St. Michael, the neighboring town to the south.

Since I did a fly by Friday Link post as I was scrambling to get up there on Friday, I did want to add a little about Key and Peele.  They really are hilarious.  Comedians are always a bell weather of the changing times, and if you can glean anything from these two, it's that racial based comedy is changing.

The biggest change Key and Peele represent, to me at least, is how they address the "misinformed, unknowingly racist white guy" aspect of today.  Back in the 90's, in the In Living Color days, there were many times where the punchline of the joke was calling out that guy.  Key and Peele use that guy as the basis of their joke.  The racist zombies is a great example.  Racism is bad enough, but what happens when racism is a symptom of becoming a zombie.  That skit is really good.

Key and Peele are also known for their skit on Luther, President Obama's anger translator, taking the angry black man bit, and making it smart, excellent political commentary and laugh out loud funny.

They also don't shy away at poking fun at black culture, in a way which makes white America understand it better, and laugh.  Guilty as charged.  Here is a skit which my kids, white suburban Hopkins kids, think is the funniest thing they have ever seen.  I have to admit, I'm rolling with it too.  A laugh for a Sunday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7FixvoKBw

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'll review it and as long as it's not dirty, I'll post it (even if you disagree with me).