Friday, May 15, 2015

The Friday Link for 5/15/15

I love baseball.  It's my favorite sport, hands down.  I love the complexity of it, how it's a team sport played by individuals, where every play is unique, but is viewed as part of the overall game, and you're only as good as your last pitch, throw or hit.

My son is a far better baseball player than I ever was.  He has tremendous power and has turned into a pure hitter.  He will hit a few home runs this year.  He plays outfield, 3rd, 2nd and 1st and he is a pretty good pitcher too.  Not tonight though.  He got shelled tonight, but most of the runs were unearned.  His team can take a few innings to get going.  Regardless, it's a tremendous way to spend two and a half hours on a warm day.

When I was a player, I was more concerned about the dandelions and bugs than the ball rolling past me in the outfield.  I was a human Ferdinand, more focused on the beauty around me than the sporting task at hand.

Since it is the baseball season, let me go to one of the all time great comedy bits, 'Who's on First!' Abbott and Costello are among the all time greats.  Listening to some of their radio shows on satellite radio is pure joy, and I'll always remember the Saturday afternoon movies of them as a kid.  They are clean, and hilarious.  Their comedic timing was the greatest of all time, and they were just tremendous partners, playing off each other to perfection.  They are also the consummate example of why you practice, as they could have never done most of their bits without hours of work to make them perfect.

This bit where they discuss the unusual names of the baseball players on their team is their most popular skit they ever did.  This is the extended version, which I feel is best, and it does lead to a great trivia question:  who's the only position player you don't find out the name of? (by the way, that is not a trick question).  Listen and you can find out.  Play ball!  It's your Friday Link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTcRRaXV-fg  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'll review it and as long as it's not dirty, I'll post it (even if you disagree with me).