Friday, April 17, 2015

The Friday Link for 4/17/15

Mel Brooks made the funniest movies.  At points they are so offensive to everyone it's unbelievable they were released, and no one else today could EVER get away with trying to remake them.  I look at them not only as outrageous comedy, but movies that helped move the country forward.

The Producers, Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein, some of his earliest movies, are all riots.  Another one I like is History of the World Part I, a movie which I remember some people insisted the Monty Python guys ripped off with Meaning of Life.  I don't see it, but ironically Brooks took The Producers and, with the help of Matthew Broderick and Nathan Lane, made a musical for the ages, only to be followed up afterwards by Spamalot from parts of the Monty Python crew.

After History of the World, he started to fall off as far as the bang for the buck he got with his movies.  The last one I saw which I thought had any good laughs was the one I am bringing up tonight, Spaceballs.  This Star Wars rip off had a lot of laugh free zones, but was saved, single handedly, by Rick Moranis. His Dark Helmet, a Darth Vader inspired character was brilliant.  What's funny is his facial expressions throughout the movie, like a janitor who has taken over the battleship and realizes he is woefully outmatched, but it doesn't stop him from trying.  Brilliant!

Here is a clip of the movie where Dark Helmet takes the controls.  Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk7VWcuVOf0

Warning - one bad word for sure.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'll review it and as long as it's not dirty, I'll post it (even if you disagree with me).