Friday, April 10, 2015

The Friday Link for 4/10/15

I know this blog has been a little sparse this week.  Sorry, tremendously busy.  I did finish helping a friend proofread her first novel (you'll be hearing more about that later!), I had a good friend ask for a huge last minute favor (hey, I did say a good friend), got my taxes done today and then there's this whole filling in on Mike Malloy's show last night and tonight.  A ton of fun, but I'm sleepy.  I slept three hours during the middle of the day today, something I usually can't do.

This tiredness does remind me of when I first moved back to Minneapolis and how many "little" jobs I was doing.  I remember some weekends where I would wake up on a Friday, go bake all of the food from scratch at the old coffee shop Pekoe and Java in Hopkins, leave there around 9:30 AM, go to Metro Traffic where I was working part time at that point, work noon to 8 PM, then I would go do the overnight shift at Mix 104.1 (the old 80's station).  At 6 AM on Saturday, I'd head from the radio station back over to bake at the coffee shop, go home and sleep for a few hours, then go to metro for a noon to 8 PM Saturday shift.  Then back to 104 for a Saturday to Sunday morning, midnight to 6 AM shift, back to the coffee shop to bake the Sunday morning goodies, then a noon to 6 PM shift at Metro traffic.  How I didn't keel over I'll never know.  I remember my very young son being sad his dad was too tired to play with him.  I did that schedule four or five weekends.  His tears was the reason I stopped doing it.

But this blog demands my attention!  It is a Friday, and thanks to the Direct TV ads featuring Rob Lowe being yanked from the air, I've got my link.

First a disclaimer.  I personally would not get Direct TV, so this is in no way an endorsement for their product of any kind.

Back around the Super Bowl, I commented about how there were not a lot of good commercials anymore.  These Direct TV ads are one of the few exceptions, purely because of Rob Lowe, an extremely underrated performer.  His normal Rob Lowe verses strangely off Rob Lowe ads are catchy and funny with creepy, poor decision making and deadbeat Rob Lowe's being my favorite.

The cable companies who protested the Direct TV ads are insisting their problem with the ads stems from the claims the normal Rob Lowe makes, but it seems they're more upset with being associated with the weirder versions of Rob Lowe.  At the end of the day, the real problem for them is these ads are clearly working, and that's what has sent the cable companies into a hissy fit.

Here's a compilation of the ads.  Enjoy them while you can because I have zero doubt the cable companies will try to get this video yanked from the YouTube as soon as possible.  It's your Friday link!

Talk to you tonight on the Mike Malloy Show!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbB9ANVQ1Ws


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'll review it and as long as it's not dirty, I'll post it (even if you disagree with me).