Monday, March 23, 2015

Five Years

As of yesterday, I have been on AM 950 for 5 years.  That's right, March 22, 2010 is a day that will live in infamy!

I was part of the large bloodletting at KSTP AM-1500 in February of 2010 when they (rightly) flipped the format to ESPN in an effort to keep the Twins on air.  When former KSTP Program Director Steve Konrad called me to let me know I was out, I thought I was done in radio.  Janet Robert, the owner of AM 950 at that time, called up and asked if I was available.  Back in my traffic days, KTNF was one of my regular stations in town, and I would usually let my personal, left leaning comments permeate the traffic reports ("Watch out as the dark lord himself, Vice President Dick Cheney, will be visiting the Twin Cities today.  Along with various road closures, the Death Star will be hovering over the metro area, Be advised.")

I started doing the evenings, the 6 PM hour.  I'll never forget it; my first caller kept calling me Mark and the previous host called up during the show to tell me I sucked.  In 2012, I moved to mornings.  I love what I do.  I love the listeners, the sponsors, the back and forth.  I love not having to hide my politics, embracing what I'm proud of, begin a Democrat.  I've had the privilege of working with some great people over the years, and I've had too many great guests to mention.  Let me not forget a big salute to the current owner of the station, Chad Larson, who continues to be very good to me.

To the listeners, thank you very much.  I appreciate it, I really do.  I owe you guys a lot, and I hope to be saying thanks for a long time to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'll review it and as long as it's not dirty, I'll post it (even if you disagree with me).