Friday, February 20, 2015

The Friday Link for 2/20/15

Saturday Night Live turned 40 and the special was pretty good.  Who am I fooling, it was nice but it wasn't exceptional.  The best bits were somewhat ruined by the feeling that everyone had to get on stage.  Celebrity Jeopardy was funny, but it tried to get too much in.  The Californian's had way too many people and David Spade's Buh-bye skit ruined it at the end.  The Weekend Update segment with Tina, Amy and Jane, the music segment (with the best segment hosts of the night in Martin Short and Maya Rudolph), the Bass o Matic, the ESPN guys and Lovitz running bit all were worthwhile.

Some underrated moments in the history of the show for me are Tim Kazurinsky, the year with Crystal, Shearer, Guest, Short (the sketch Lifestyles of the relatives of the Rich and Famous is an underrated gem), Mike Myers saving the show (which he did), the run of Weekend Update hosts from Tina to Jimmy to Amy to Seth, and how did they keep it together and not accidentally misspeak when they did the cork-soakers skit?

I also don't mind when the SNL cast cracked up.  Monty Python and Kids in the Hall could't get away with it, but a live sketch show, like Carol Burnett, can find their best moments when the cast can't stop laughing either.  It makes us feel like we are getting the joke together.

Here is the best break down of a skit ever with another of my underrated gems, Rachel Dratch.  It might be the only time you can watch Lindsay Lohan and laugh for the right reason.  Enjoy.

https://screen.yahoo.com/debbie-downer-happiest-place-earth-000000872.html?query=Debbie+Downer



1 comment:

  1. Took me time to read all the comments, but I really enjoyed the article. It proved to be Very helpful to me and I am sure to all the commenters here! It’s always nice when you can not only be informed, but also entertained!
    black friday sears

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'll review it and as long as it's not dirty, I'll post it (even if you disagree with me).