Friday, January 30, 2015

The Friday Link for 1/30/15

Before I begin, I'd like to do a quick follow up to the Super Bowl post I made yesterday.  The NFL has made a HUGE admission in regards to deflate-gate.  They admitted they never logged the official air pressure of the balls when they inspected them prior to the AFC Championship game.  This means there is no record of what the air pressure was before the game, hence, they can't say for sure if the balls were inflated correctly (they likely were, but this is a pretty big loophole).  Basically, they NFL has admitted they don't have official proof the balls weren't deflated before the game.  Here's the link to the NBC Sports story:  http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/29/nfl-didnt-log-the-psi-of-each-patriots-football/

Even more amazing was how this story disappeared this morning.  When I got up for the show, I started going over the morning news at 4:30 AM and this story was everywhere, on pretty much every major news outlet I could find.  By the time I got to the station and tried to pull the story up at 5:45 AM, the story had been scrubbed from most news pages.  The link above is one of the few remaining ones left.  The story had been replaced with an NFL fluff piece which insists the AFC Championship referees had conducted an appropriate inspection of the balls before the game, but never mentions anything about whether the air pressure was checked or logged.  The NFL has a shocking amount of control over the media in this country.  Read the story before it disappears.

With the Super Bowl, I will post two links for you, both running themes from the last month.  First is Stephen Colbert's hilarious take on how to get around using the term "Super Bowl" from last years big game:

http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/qs3r6w/logo-restrictions-for-the-super-bowl

The second link for tonight is one of the better Super Bowl ads from this year and it features one of my favorite funny people around today, Aubrey Plaza.  She's usually seen on the TV show Parks and Recreation (can you believe the star power of that show?  Unbelievable!).  I think she is wonderfully hilarious and just plain fun.  This ad is gutsy because it rips on the concept of wasting a ton of money on a Super Bowl ad, while making a memorable Super Bowl ad for Newcastle Brown Ale.  Tricky, but I like it.  Okay fine I like Aubrey Plaza, but you will too.  Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rLILU3B5LY&list=PLjncHZSg0GNGY2CCdHIJWYXSn0fMwts_Z&x-yt-cl=85114404&x-yt-ts=1422579428



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment. I'll review it and as long as it's not dirty, I'll post it (even if you disagree with me).